OUTFIT DETAILS HERE [I am 5’4” for reference]
I’ve received an influx of requests for workwear as everyone makes their way back to the office–so I thought I would round up some of my current recommendations for the office. I also plan to do some more business casual styling videos in the coming weeks–so stay tuned!
Before going into the blogging industry full-time, I worked in Finance for a few years. It was a very strict business professional dress code, so I am very familiar with workwear–and what works well. Here are a few tips I learned:
- Invest in quality staples: I started my job in finance right out of college, so most of my work clothes in the beginning was from H&M. They definitely have great budget friendly options, but I recommend investing in quality essentials when you can afford to do so. Yes, the cost will be higher upfront, but it will save you money in the long-term. Just like the tips I share for your capsule wardrobe, the same applies for workwear: quality over quantity. Instead of constantly shopping for new H&M pieces, I ended up investing in three Theory suits [black, navy and gray] and often wore those on rotation as my main pieces.
- Wear comfortable shoes: One of the biggest things I regret is not wearing flats/comfortable shoes more often! I definitely wore heels way too often and my feet still have lingering issues from it years later. Shoe styles I recommend most are low or block heels for a comfortable heel, and sling backs for a feminine and chic shoe style.
- Be known for your work ethic, not the clothes you wear: If you are looking to make a fashion statement, the office is not the place to do so. I’ll admit, when I first started my corporate job, I tried to push the limit a bit in terms of the dress code [aka wearing floral pants or bright colors lol–like I said it, it was veryyy strict]. This doesn’t mean you can’t have fun with your outfits, but at the office, it is best to follow the dress code, keep it conservative and keep it professional. Dress for the job you want, and become known for your work ethic.
Where to Shop for Work Clothes
- Theory [*best investment pieces]
- Ann Taylor [check out my full review here]
- Banana Republic
- H&M [budget-friendly]